From Pages 36-37 of:
Two types of small, two-masted fishing schooners were developed around the Gaspé Peninsula and in Baie des Chaleurs. They were direct descendants of the chebacco boat, being double-ended, but without the pink stern. This craft was almost certainly introduced by the Loyalists about 1783, though the design may have been influenced by the American fishermen who fished in the Gulf of St. Lawrence in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
The area around the northern tip of the Gaspé Peninsula, chiefly between Gaspé and Percé, was known as the English shore. The little schooner-rigged fishing vessels built there were called the English Shore type. They were about 35 feet long, with a beam of 9 to 10 feet, and a draft of about 3 and 1/2 feet. The hull was rough but strongly built, w-ith a long straight keel, deeper aft than forward. The stem post was curved and raked. The top projected above the deck and had a pin through it, so it could be used as a mooring post. The stern post was straight, but with considerable rake. The sides of the English Shore schooner had some flare. These vessels had two pole masts, with a pair of shrouds to each. A forestay and a stay between the mast heads were also fitted. A short bowsprit to starboard of the stem head was rigged. They had a simple schooner rig consisting of one jib, a loose-footed foresail and a boom mainsail. They were good seaboats and able to withstand the bad weather met with in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.